Friday, December 17, 2010

Baby Evan, etc.

Last week, my brother's wife had a baby.  I am an auntie!  Baby Evan was born Friday, December 10th at 10:52am weighting 6lbs 7ounces.  Do you know what this means?  My parents went from 0 to 3 in six months!  And, they get to enjoy actively doing things with M & B, and get to cuddle with an infant.  Not a bad way to end the year.  We took the kids to see Baby E last weekend.  They knew that Auntie Meg was pregnant, and Uncle Brian was going to be a daddy, or at least I think they understood.  When walking up to Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, Muse looked and shouted, "Whoa, house big!"  Uhm, no Muse, this is a hospital.  We made our way through security, and up to the 10th floor to meet the new baby.  Biskut had a bit of a cold (I cleared it with everybody before we arrived), so we didn't want her touching him (such a tease)....she really wanted to!  We took a bunch of photos and I think she managed to wiggle her way into every single one of them, even ones that were of Meg and her friends. 

After seeing Baby E, we went and visited with Little A.  They always love seeing her, as she loves seeing them.  We went to the playground at dusk, and it gave the kids a chance to run around and blow off some steam! 

So, something happened at school yesterday, something that I could not have prevented.  Biskut shared her story with her pre-k class.  The sad, sad part of her story.  We talk about it at home, and during story time, she apparently stood up and shared her very personal story.  Kids were crying, teachers were crying.  Her classmates were concerned that what happened to Biskut could happen to them, too.  I think the teachers had to use their counseling skills a little that afternoon.  I'm sad for M & B.  But, she isn't holding it in. 

One of the questions I get, almost daily, is "how is their English coming along?"  I think they have made incredible strides over the last few months since starting school.  I wonder how "fluent" they are in comparison to the other "older" children who came home in Group 95.  I can share my observation with you.  When you adopt a single child ~3 years and older, the child is "forced" to learn English quickly in order to communicate with his/her family, peers, teachers, etc.  When you adopt siblings, and 1 sib is under 3 years of age, I think that the 2 children learn English fairly quickly as well.  The youngest probably didn't have a solid first language foundation, so if the older sib wants to communicate, it is through English.  However, when you adopt two "older" children, both have a solid first language, and can continue to communicate with one another for as long as they choose.  Our children haven't completely lost their first language yet.  Sadly, they speak to each other on much more rare occasions in Sidama, and use English now about 95% of the time.  I expected they would have lost it sooner.  I am glad they didn't, and wish they would keep it indefinitely.  I don't think Muse wants to speak Sidama at all, and it is Biskut that attempts to use it more often.  When she tries, he looks at her and shouts, "WHAT?"  I recognize, with this said, that every child is different, and each sibling group is different.  This is my observation based on our experience and speaking with other families.

The kids continue to say very cute things, sometimes spot on, sometimes completely out of context.  Most of the time, very literal.  We went to dinner last weekend to a busy Acton restaurant, and when walking in the door, Biskut saw all of the people waiting, and shouted "Party?!"  Sorry Biskut, its not your birthday yet.  Last night, after putting Biskut to bed following a 30 minute tickle match between the  two of us, she came back downstairs to try to talk me into going back up to bed to sleep with her.  I responded rather simply and said, "Biskut, Mommy's busy trying to get things done."  And Biskut replied, very matter of fact, "I am busy too."  It was oh so cute.  Both continue to speak in the 3rd person fairly frequently, or speak in the first person and the third person.  For example, Muse always says when he likes something, "I like it Muse."  These are the things that are so endearing, that are so darn cute, and I hate to correct (so I don't). 

We are ready for Christmas, it will be so cool to see their faces on Christmas morning.  I am not sure they understand what they are in for on Christmas morning.  This Christmas comes with some mixed emotions.  I have been thinking a lot about Tamirat this week.  It was one year ago that we consulted with an expert at Yale, that I spoke to several families who adopted waiting children, and when we wrote our email to WHFC saying that we had made a decision to move forward in the match process.  And it was Christmas Eve when we shared our exciting secret with our families.   I am still sad, I still mourn, I still cry,  and yet I have two beautiful children one year later to celebrate this joyful holiday with.  I am grateful, very grateful, and I am sad, very sad.  Only now, I can tell you I am much more happy than sad.   Thank you M & B! 

5 comments:

  1. Poor Biskut. I can't imagine what the teachers were thinking! But it's good that she will talk about it. Wishing you guys a wonderful first Christmas together. And thinking of you, Doug and Tam too. I say this too often, but we really hope to see you guys soon, maybe we can plan something in January when the holidays are over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanging on every word, as usual. M and B sound so, so special and my heart just breaks picturing B earnestly sharing with her classmates...that she felt safe enough to share is wonderful and I hope the conversations will continue at home. There's only so much you can do to control these kind of things and I imagine it will come down to how you guys handle it at home, and it seem s you guys have created a very safe, loving home! Once again, it sounds like M and B are pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow what a post. It was all interesting.

    I have to say Muse's comments crack me up. :-) Very cute.

    Can't wait to see MORE pics. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey,
    We must be reflecting at the same time.
    Tamarit's picture that you gave me last year is hanging on the Christmas tree and I will always honor the brief time he was with us.
    I just got back this afternoon after 2 days with Evan. It was such a thrill to hold my grandbaby!
    When I called you and spoke to Biskut and Muse, it was wonderful to hear their young voices respond, "I miss you too Grammy Susie."
    My 3 granchildren simply melt my heart!
    I feel incredible blessed :)
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamirat is a special guy. I tear up everytime you write about him and your love for him. You are such a wonderful mother. Thanks for sharing your experienced and observations. That is intense stuff about B and sharing her story. Whew.

    this is Staci, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete